Thursday, April 11, 2013

Resolution #4: Support Clergy and Staff Safety


Eastern Washington-Idaho Synod Assembly 2013
Resolution 4
Memorial to Support Clergy and Staff Safety

Whereas, Matthew 25:35-36 states “I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, and

Whereas, we serve in response to God’s love to meet human needs, caring for the sick and aged, advocating dignity and justice for all people, standing with the poor and powerless, and committing ourselves to the needs, and

Whereas, those who serve as employees and volunteers in congregations and various other ministry settings, seek to live out the calling to serve our communities and are often in ministry sites alone and provide response and care for those to whom the church seeks to serve, whether urban, rural, small or large communities, and

Whereas, vulnerable populations often seek refuge and help at ministry sites and staff often are alone and vulnerable to dangerous and precarious situations in order to provide care and assist the church in carrying out its calling;

Resolve, that this assembly encourage called and lay leaders who have oversight of staff in a variety of ministry settings, provide adequate safety measures for those who serve and carry out ministries on behalf of the church.

Submitted by:
Stephanie Tesch, Synod Council Member representing Cluster G
Ken Tesch, President of Cluster G
Cathy Steiner, Synod Staff, Member of Lutheran Staff Association

No comments:

Post a Comment